If ever there was a day requiring a detailed checklist, it’s Moving Day. Here’s a life-saving list to get you through what can be a drama-filled 24 hours.
- Clean up. You never know how well a seller will leave your new home so it’s best to plan on a comprehensive cleanup before you move your belongings into the house. Steam clean the carpets, if any, and vacuum and mop the tile and hardwoods. Wipe down the counters and cabinets, inside and out. Give the bathrooms a good scrubbing. If the timeline is tight, consider hiring a professional cleaning service.
- Change the door locks. The old owners gave you all the keys, but you can’t be sure there aren’t extra copies in the possession of neighbors, pet-sitters or relatives. Better safe than sorry.
- Make sure the utilities and security system are turned on and in your name.
- Get your home online. Schedule an installation appointment with your internet provider so you’ll have service to work from home and stay connected with the outside world.
- Pest control. Check the house for signs of insects and rodents. If necessary, call a pest control service.
- Swap your seats. Changing out the toilet seats is a good idea whenever you move into a new home.
- Get to know your home. Find out where the fuse box is located. Take note of the water and gas shut-off valves. Make sure the fire extinguisher is up to code. Find out when the trash and recycling will be picked up.