Watch for deepening discounts on summer items, along with back-to-school discounts on office supplies and computers. Late summer is also a great time to snag deals on new flooring for your home. Here’s a look at the most significant August discounts.
- Back-to-school sales. Look for weekly deals on school and home office supplies and generous discounts on laptops, printers, headphones and other home office equipment. Check to see if your state has a tax-free weekend when you’re exempt from paying sales tax on back-to-school purchases.
- Flooring. August is a traditional time to find sales on replacement flooring for the home, according to Consumer Reports. Shop for deals on everything from high-end hardwoods, laminates, and tile, to the more modest vinyl, depending on your budget.
- Summer living. Now’s your chance to purchase what’s left of summer items at an even deeper discount. Prices will be slashed to 50 percent and greater on summer housewares, toys, games and clothes.
- Lawnmowers and grills. Don’t wait too long because these items, once marked down, disappear quickly. Cutting Edge Advice on Buying a Lawnmower
- Camping equipment. Consider buying tents and sleeping bags this month during heavy discounting, and saving them for later when cooler weather hits.
- Swing sets. Prices (and selection) will be at their lowest.
- Outdoor furniture. Now’s the time to buy patio furniture and replacement cushions at their lowest prices before they disappear off the showroom floor. You might not have the largest selection to choose from, but you’ll have the satisfaction of a bargain basement price.
- Shop smart. Before making any major purchase, do your homework. Consumer advocacy groups, websites, and magazines such as Consumer Reports, Wise Bread, Nerd Wallet, and Money, regularly publish buying guides and tips.