October is a prime time for home-related purchases such as paint, leaf blowers, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and air conditioning units. As the temperatures fall so do prices on window units and central air systems.
- Smoke detectors and batteries. When it’s time to “fall back” to Standard Time, it’s also time to change the batteries in your home’s smoke detectors. Consumers will find sales on both batteries and replacement smoke detectors. Also look for discounts on carbon monoxide detectors.
- Furniture. Smart shoppers can score furniture deals on last season’s styles as the industry preps for its twice-annual furniture market trade shows, which are held in October (and again in April) in the furniture manufacturing hub of North Carolina.
- Fall prep. Watch for seasonal discounts on leaf blowers, autumn decor, fall bedding plants, fertilizers, and mulch.
- Interior and exterior paint. Look for sales, discounts, and rebates on paints in October, Consumer Reports says.
- Air conditioners. Both window and central air conditioning systems are at their cheapest prices in the fall and winter. As the demand for these products drops so do the prices.
- Shop smart. Before making any major purchase, do your homework. Consumer advocacy groups, websites, and magazines such as Consumer Reports, Wise Bread, Nerd Wallet, and Money, regularly publish buying guides and tips.