Switching to smart light bulbs is a great way to add smart technology to your home. What can smart bulbs do that traditional bulbs can’t? Here’s a primer on smart light bulbs.
What are smart light bulbs?
Smart light bulbs look much like regular LED bulbs, but with Wi-Fi, you can remotely control them through an app or a voice assistant such as Amazon’s Alexa or Google Assistant. You can use the bulbs in existing light fixtures and lamps; buying a special smart light is unnecessary. Smart light bulbs come in the most common sizes. They are easy to set up and use.
What can smart light bulbs do?
Smart light bulbs give you many more lighting options than regular bulbs.
- You can turn them on and off without using a switch.
- Depending on which smart bulbs you buy, you can change the color of your lighting. Smart bulbs allow you to choose from several shades of white light. Many also allow you to change to several shades of colored light.
- Most smart light bulbs are dimmable.
- With an app, you can control your bulbs while away from home.
- You can increase your home’s security by programming the bulbs to come on and off randomly while on vacation.
- Smart light bulbs allow you to set your lighting to help wake you up in the morning and put you to sleep at night.
What about cost?
Smart light bulbs cost significantly more than regular bulbs, but costs are coming down. Some smart bulbs are now available for about $10 each, although others cost $20 or more. The bulbs also draw a tiny amount of electrical power while not in use. However, you’ll save some money with smart bulbs in the long run because they last much longer than other bulbs. Smart light bulbs are also LED, resulting in savings if you use incandescent bulbs.
Related – Understanding Different LED Light Colors